HERB AND VEGETABLE OMELETTE OR STRATA
Use up whatever vegetables you have left in your fridge at the end of the week to make this delicious omelette or strata for a vibrant and delicious Sunday brunch. Use bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, asparagus, corn, mushrooms or whatever you have.
8 large eggs
½ cup milk
2 tbsp oil
¼ cup chopped vegetable scraps (tomatoes, red bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, etc…)
4 tbsp leafy herbs (parsley, cilantro, oregano)
Salt and Pepper to taste
For a Strata, you'll also need 1-2 cups of leftover bread, cubed
- Chop the vegetable scraps nto small pieces. Finely chop the herbs.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk until well combined. For an omelette, skip to step #4.
- For a strata, add the cubed leftover bread and mix well with the eggs, vegetables and herbs. Pour the mixture into a greased oven dish. If you can, leave it in the fridge for the bread to soak up all the egg. Then bake for 45 minutes in a preheated 180 degree centigrade oven, or until nicely browned.
- For your standard omelette, drizzle the oil into a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour the egg into the pan and add the vegetable scraps and herbs. Stir them into the egg and move the egg around in the pan so it cooks evenly.
- Flip the omelette over to cook evenly on both sides. Add salt and pepper to taste.