Cheese and Bacon Strata
6 beaten eggs
2 ml milk
400 g grated cheese
200 g bacon
Oregano, salt, pepper
This recipe, from Chef K. Tak Sung of Eurest in Norway, is a great way to use up left over / old bread in a kitchen. This holds true whether it is your home kitchen, or in a commercial kitchen. The strata is equally delicious as as a hot snack or served as a main course served with a fresh green salad.
If you don't want to use bacon, be creative and use the recipe as a way to use up odd bits of vegetables such as bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli and herbs, like chives and parsley. Have fun and see what delicious variations you can make!
- Dice the bacon, fry it, set aside
- Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until nicely combined
- Cut bread into thumb-sized cubes or shred by hand
- Mix the egg mixture with bread, half of the fried bacon and half the cheese
- Stir in a pre-greased cake tin, let it stand for half an hour
- Add the rest of the cheese and bacon on top and cover with aluminum foil
- Bake at 170C, 1 hour and serve cut into small squares for a snack, or as wedges for a main course, served with a refreshing dressed green salad.