Bread and Butter Pudding
Did you know that bread is one of the most commonly wasted foods in the home? Why not turn your leftover or slightly stale bread into a comforting and delicious Bread and Butter Pudding. Your guests will love you for it!
500g white thick sliced bread
250ml semi skimmed milk
4 medium eggs
300ml double cream
5ml vanilla flavouring
85g soft light brown sugar
50g unsalted butter
10g caster sugar
- Cut the crusts from the bread slices.
- To make the custard, heat the milk, cream and vanilla in a pan to just before boiling point.
- Separate 2 eggs and put the egg whites aside (keep them for meringues!). Mix the yolks with the 2 whole eggs and whisk together with the sugar.
- Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the eggs, stirring continuously until smooth.
- Butter an ovenproof dish.
- Butter both sides of the bread using a knife and cut into triangles. Lay half of the bread slices in the bottom of the dish.
- Zest the lemon over the top of the spread and sprinkle with sultanas. Lay the rest of the bread slices over the fruit.
- Pour the custard over the bread and leave to soak.
- When the custard has soaked in, sprinkle the caster sugar over the top and bake for 35 minutes at 160°C until golden brown.
- Portion and serve.