Banana Peel Biscuits
400g banana peel
150g margarine or butter
This recipe was submitted by our colleagues in Portugal and makes excellent use of banana peel, something that we all throw away without ever thinking we might be able to turn them into something delicious. Banana skins are full of nutrients, including the important vitamins B6 and B12.
Developed by chefs in our Eurest Portugal units, these biscuits are an ingenious way of ensuring we make use of the full fruit. We try to employ this ethos into all of our preparation of fruit and vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Place water in a saucepan, add banana peels, bring to a steady simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- When the peel is cooked, drain the water and blend the peel in a food processor.
- Add flour, sugar, eggs and margarine. Mix until a homogeneous dough is obtained.
- Shape the biscuits and place a banana wheel on top.
- Brush with egg yolk.
- On a tray lined with baking paper, bake the biscuits for 15 minutes until golden brown.