5 Questions with Scott Davis, CEO of FLIK
1. What motivated your personal interest in sustainability and food waste reduction?
I worked for Whole Foods in the late 80’s and 90’s. The issues back then are the same today. Working for a corporate culture / platform that is based on sustainability really made it personal for me.
2. Can you share a story about a food waste hero who inspired you?
I personally participate in our town’s central recycling center and Chris (the site’s attendant is an engaging personality) makes the visits fun. My guess is that people go to talk with Chris and the recycling is secondary.
3. What change have you made personally to be more mindful?
It is a lifestyle. My family has been working on eliminating our waste for years. The single biggest thing I am constantly reminding myself and my family how many people in America go to bed hungry. I serve on the board for Hunger Related Events (Taste of the NFL) and we are working on the recapture of food as well as raising funds for food banks across the country.
4. What will it take for America to make food waste a priority?
We need more education in the public school systems and a strong social media campaign of how debilitating waste is in this country. It is all about awareness(kids will put pressure on their parents) and adopting better practices. Culturally we need to be raising the issue everywhere.
5. What is one small change every person can make in their daily lives to make a big difference?
Visit a shelter and see how the smallest of contributions can make the biggest of impacts. Awareness will nurture new behaviors that will become habit and culture.